The candy-cane shaped shortbread add a Christmassy twist to a very delicious and easy to make treat!
Vegan Candy Cane Shortbread Recipe:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Yields: approx. 30 canes
Storage: Sealed contained
- 200g vegan butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 100g caster sugar
- 300g plain flour (little more for rolling out and red dough)
- 1 tbsp. red food colouring
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer, cream the butter, vanilla and sugar together. Then with a spoon, stir in the flour and mix into a dough
- Split the dough into two – wrap one in clingfilm and set aside, then in the bowl, add the red food colouring and a little more flour (if necessary – the colouring can sometimes make the dough a little too wet)
- Wrap the red dough in clingfilm too and chill both in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so they can firm up
- Whilst the dough is in the fridge, line a baking tray with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 160°c (fan-oven)
- When the dough is chilled, roll out both balls separately (put some flour down on the surface) to about 1/4 cm thickness and cut into thin strips and roll them a little to make them into thin sausages
- Then take a red and non-red ‘sausage’, pinch the tops together then twist them around each other then pinch the bottom
- Now bend the ‘sausage’ into a candy cane shape and place on the baking paper and repeat until all the dough is used up
- Then bake for around 15-20 minutes until the dough has hardened* and browned a little – *they will harden more when cooling
- When done, remove the candy canes from the baking tray and place on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes – feel free to sprinkle a little sugar on top at this point if you so wish
Like my recipes? Don’t forget to follow my page!
Want to contact me or give feedback?