This one-pan dish has SO much flavour and will save you a lot of washing up – win win, right?! This recipe yields 6 portions, so perfect for a large family, if you want some leftovers, or even if you have guests over for dinner.
Prep time: approx. 5 minutesGluten Free
Cook time: approx. 30 minutes
Yields: 6 portions
- 6 Chorizo Shroomdogs or 280g vegan chorizo (e.g. Iceland’s, Linda McCartney’s)
- 2 red onions (chopped)
- 3 peppers – 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow (sliced)
- 200g uncooked rice
- 500ml vegetable stock – smoky stock if possible (I got mine from Tesco)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g sweetcorn (fresh or frozen)
- 400g can cooked black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 100g grated vegan cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack)
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
+ extra virgin olive oil (for frying)
- Coriander (to sprinkle on top)
- Lime (to squeeze on top)
- In a large skillet, heat a little oil over a medium-high heat, then add the chorizo and cook for 3-5 minutes until it starts to brown (if you’re using shroom dogs/sausages, take them out after 3 minutes, cut into slices then fry for a further few minutes)
- Set the cooked chorizo aside and fry the onions for about 3 minutes until they start to appear translucent; then add in the peppers and sweetcorn and fry a further few minutes until soft
- Add the chorizo back in and the rice too, stir and fry for a few minutes then add in the stock, chopped tomatoes, garlic powder, smoke paprika and black beans
- Make sure it’s all mixed together then leave to simmer (without a lid) on a low-medium heat until most of the liquid has absorbed (stir regularly so it doesn’t stick) – this should take about 15-20 minutes
- When the liquid has absorbed, taste the rice, if it’s still a little hard, add a bit more water (and paprika so it doesn’t water down the flavour) and once again wait until absorbed, continue if necessary until the rice is cooked
- Add the grated cheese to the top and allow to melt, then top with any extras you wish
- Serve and enjoy!
Like my recipes? Don’t forget to follow my page!
Want to contact me or give feedback?