These cupcakes are so easy to make, that even a novice baker can’t go wrong! And if you don’t like chocolate orange, simply change the orange extract for another, for example, mint or vanilla.
Prep Time: 5 minutesGluten Free Option, simply switch * to make GF
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Cool Time: at least 30 minutes
Yields: approx. 10 cupcakes
- Stand mixer
- Piping bag (if desired – icing can just be spooned on)
- Cupcake cases
- Cupcake tray
- 90g plain flour*
- 20g cocoa powder
- 80g sweetener (avoid artificial)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 150ml soya milk
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. orange extract
- 220g icing sugar
- 110g vegan butter (e.g. Vitalite, Tesco, Stork, Tomo, Trex)
- 1 tsp. orange extract
- 1 tbsp. vegan milk of choice
- 10g cocoa powder (for chocolate swirl)
- Pre-heat oven to 170*C (fan-oven)
- Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately until thoroughly combined
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until mixed and small bubbles form
- Pour the mixture into cupcake cases (so they’re 3/4 full) and place in oven for 20-25 minutes (keep an eye on them)
- You will know the sponge is cooked if you put a toothpick in and nothing sticks to it
- In the meantime, add all the icing ingredients (except cocoa powder) into a stand mixer, and mix until fluffy
- Set aside half the mixture into a bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix again until combined – put both of the colours of icing in the fridge until needed
- Then leave to cool on a cooling rack for a least half an hour (otherwise the icing will start to melt), then use a piping bag to pipe on the icing as desired*
- Serve and enjoy!
*to get the split coloured icing like in the photo, simply add the buttercream into a piping bag, a colour at a time, making sure one colour sits down one side and the other colour sits down the opposite side of the piping bag. Then push the buttercream down towards the nozzle, squeezing the bag slightly and twist the top so it’s ‘closed’.
Like my recipes? Don’t forget to follow my page!
Want to contact me or give feedback?