This tofu bacon is by far my favourite recipe from my recipe book ‘Breakfast at Stephanie’s’ and I make it at least once a week, it’s that simple and easy to do. Vegan bacon alternatives can be quite pricey, so this is a much cheaper and healthier alternative
Vegan Tofu Bacon Recipe:
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: approx. 10 minutes
Yields: 2 servings
- 100g firm tofu – sliced (bacon shapes if you wish), about 0.2cm thickness
- 20ml liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp. Schwartz ‘Season-All’ Paprika and Pepper or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- + extra virgin olive oil – for frying
Top Tip: Microwaving tofu removes the moisture and allows it to become a lot crispier than if a tofu press were to be used. It’ll also save you a lot of time too as you don’t need to marinate it for as long; because there is so much less moisture, the tofu will absorb a lot easier.
- Microwave the tofu on a plate on high for 5 minutes, turn over half way through – make sure none of the tofu is touching; otherwise it will stick together
- Put half of the liquid smoke, Season-All/paprika, garlic powder into a jug and mix
- When the tofu has finished microwaving, pour the marinade on top evenly, then just make sure the tofu is coated (turn it over if you need to, too) and leave for a couple of minutes
- Then heat a bit of oil in a non-stick frying pan (medium-high heat), add in the tofu and fry for a couple of minutes
- Pour in the rest of the liquid smoke (it’ll steam a bit, so be careful), fry for a further minute then turn the tofu over and fry for a couple more minutes until crispy
- Serve as desired and enjoy!
Like my recipes? Don’t forget to follow my page!
Want to contact me or give feedback?