A vegan twist on a ‘Greggs’ classic – the chicken and mushroom bake. One of my favourites before going vegan, so I’m glad I’ve come up with a delicious recipe to help fill the hole until they come out with their own vegan version!
Vegan No Chicken Bake Recipe:
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: ~30 minutes
Yields: 4 bakes
- 2 puff pastry sheets (pre-rolled, check it’s vegan)
- 400g sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. reduced-salt soy sauce
- 300ml vegan milk
- 180g vegan ‘chicken’
- 2-3 tbsp. plain flour
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Optional: 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Black pepper to taste
Plus: Oil for frying
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper
- Start by lightly frying the mushrooms in a little oil until soft and then add in the chicken and fry until crispy
- In the meantime, in a saucepan, melt the vegan butter and add in the flour and whisk to make a roux – then add in the milk, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast and black pepper and whisk until a creamy sauce forms
- Add the mushrooms and chicken to the sauce and stir
- Unravel your first sheet of puff pastry with its paper onto a baking tray and cut into 4 rectangles
- Spoon in your filling keeping a 2cm border free around the edge
- Place your second puff pastry sheets (also cut into rectangles) on top and press the two sheets together around the edge with a fork to create a seal
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes until the bakes are golden brown in colour
- When cooked, leave to cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Like my recipes? Don’t forget to follow my page!
Want to contact me or give feedback?